Social Enterprise Developer
Mentor & consult dozens of youth-led social start-ups and help lead UniTED’s growth
In Uganda each year, 50,000 students graduate while only 10,000 jobs are created in the formal economy. UniTED supports these young people to become changemakers through an experiential learning curriculum in social entrepreneurship, which empowers them to develop innovative social ventures. We also run international exchanges to foster collaboration.
This role will place you at the forefront of UniTED’s growth as our second employee. Using our framework, be responsible for consulting and mentoring on 50 youth-led social start-ups each year to help make them more impactful, sustainable, and scalable. Help to coordinate exchanges with international volunteers. And, become an essential part of UniTED, helping to lead our growth in Uganda and beyond.
We’re looking for someone who is passionate about UniTED’s vision of empowering young Ugandans to lead social change and wants to commit to this work as a vocation. They need to be an extremely able social entrepreneur and mentor, self-motivated, intelligent, and a great communicator – more than experienced.
Salary: From UGX 1.8 – 2.2 million gross per month, depending on experience.
Contract: Full-time, initially 12 months, to be extended based upon funding and performance.
Location: Kampala, Uganda
- Support 50 youth-led social start-ups per year, spending 20 hours of contact time with each as a UniTED tutor.
- Lead workshops in different aspects of organisational development during our internship schemes and other conferences
- Represent UniTED to civil society partners and donors
- Recruit more youth-led social start-ups into UniTED’s programs
- Be part of a team developing the curriculum of social start-up development tools
- Help to coordinate exchanges with international volunteers, including playing an important role in fulfilling UniTED’s duty of care to them
- Work with the team leaders on the annual survey of UniTED’s beneficiaries
- Bachelor’s degree
- Knowledge and experience in social entrepreneurship
- Fluent English (both written and spoken)
- Excellent communications and interpersonal skills, including cross-culturally and as a trainer/facilitator/mentor
- Excellent computer skills, including Word, Excel, and Powerpoint
- Excellent creative and critical thinking skills
- Willingness to learn and work independently
- Have previously founded and/or led an initiative
- Can demonstrate a previous commitment to empowering youth
- Familiarity with the challenges faced by youth-led start-ups